Various sample materials can be sent in to investigate the DNA of your animal. In the webshop, it is stated per DNA test which material can be sent in. Swabs and blood are the most submitted for dogs and cats, hair and blood are the most submitted for horses.
Instruction sample collection with swab
Thank you for ordering from our laboratory. You will receive one or more Copan swabs. Please only use these for sampling; other types of swabs are not accepted by us.
Collecting sample material is the most critical element for DNA testing. It is very important that you follow these instructions to maximize the chance of a successful DNA test and avoid contamination of DNA from another source. Read the collection instructions below carefully before sampling your animal(s).
- Do not allow the animal to eat and/or drink from the mother for 1 to 2 hours before sampling. Drinking water is allowed. To avoid contamination with DNA from another animal, the animal will have to be kept separate from other animals during this time.
- Carefully open the swab package; avoid contact of the brush with your hands or other surfaces.
- During the sampling, stroke the brush firmly against the buccal mucosa for at least 10 seconds, rotating the swab several times to ensure that there are enough cells on the brush. The genetic test can only be performed if there is sufficient genetic material on the brush.
- Unscrew and remove the cap from the tube. Be careful no contact between the liquid content of the tube and your skin occurs. In case this accidentally happens, please rinse the skin surface thoroughly with water.
- Insert the flocked swab into the tube.
- Break the swab at the breaking point. Replace the cap on the tube and close tightly.
- Take one Copan swab for each animal.
- For correct processing, the tubes must be labeled with at least name and chip or registration number.
- Please submit the samples together with the order confirmation from our webshop by mail to:
Agro Business Park 100
6708 PW WAGENINGEN